Retail Motor Industry Organisation

Mail Us

Customer Support

Find an

Accredited Member


Licences required to broadcast or play sound / music recordings in public areas


It has once again come to the attention of the RMI that members who broadcast or play sound/music recordings in public areas within their businesses require licences to do so and fees are also payable in that regard.

The Southern African Music Rights Organisation (SAMRO)’s primary role is to administer Performing Rights on behalf of their members. SAMRO do so by licensing music users (such as television and radio broadcasters, live music venues, retailers, restaurants, promoters and shopping centres, etc.), through the collection of licence fees which are then distributed as royalties.

The South African Performing Rights Association (SAMPRA) is a collective management organisation (CMO) that administers Needle Time Rights on behalf of recording artists and record labels also collect licence fees from music users which are then distributed as royalties.

Music creators (songwriters, composers and publishers), recording artists are lead vocalists, backing vocalists, instrumentalists (guitarists, drummers, pianists, saxophonists, violinists, keyboardists, etc.), and studio producers who make a performing contribution to the recorded performance are entitled to royalties every time their music is used.

The fees payable would be dependent on the following:

Application Criteria

-Size of premises, measured in square metres, where music is rendered audible.

-The number of employees who work within an area where music is rendered audible.

Usage Description

-This tariff applies to the communicating to the public of sound/music recordings in factories, workshops and offices as background music.

Please note that sound/music recordings broadcast from a radio and or television within the workplace also require the aforementioned licenses over and above your normal TV licence. 

Should you wish to continue to broadcast or play sound/music recordings in your business we suggest that you make contact with both SAMRO and SAMPRA to find out what is required to become compliant in terms of the applicable copyright legislation.

All the necessary information, tariffs and application forms can be found and downloaded from the SAMRO and SAMPRA website

For specific SAMRO queries, you may contact Richardo Buthelezi directly on:   079 295 2509 or

For specific SAMPRA queries, you may contact Linda Malinga directly on:   0722921389 or